Saturday, January 23, 2010

mother country...too far away

On a day like this, when rain is not the kind of rain I used to know growing up, I wish for the sun to be up and shining brightly. Well, not really. The sun melts away everything that's cottony white outside so quickly when it gets a little warmer than the freezing temp, then mud comes along with just everything our dogs bring, coming in from their breaks! I do not know what exactly I want today, I know. I am just typing away whatever comes to mind, maybe wasting time, and wishing there's more long weekends like these two consecutive lazy weekends I have been enjoying. I have been working as usual like nobody does, complicating my mind with possibilities of this and that, with these and those, and yet not content to have enough time to finish what needs to be done.
Leon's suggestion to look up for packages for a possible Belize trip next winter did not help. All the more I ache for the sun on my face! I used to hate being under the scorching heat of a blazing sun, but since I came to know "cold" I run over to where the sun chooses to shine.
This morning when I opened the front door to reach out for the paper, I stared at the frosty ice that blanketed every inch of the front steps down to the driveway. I turned on the lights and admired the reflections of hundreds of tiny lights in front of me and at the same time shuddered at the thought of slipping on beautiful, smooth and cold layers of ice topping our concrete steps. Oh no, I am not going out to work today as planned earlier. Work can wait!
Now, as I take a break from a little student system irritation, I look at the constant gentle freezing rain hitting the glass window and look out further to the snow covering the side yard and my neighbor's and see tiny little raindrop holes everywhere. There is definitely wind chill everywhere outside as I look at the leafless tree branches swaying, and feel a little chill go down my spine. There is no storm and there's none coming from around the corner. There's one lonely icicle from my neighbor's side roof that's undisturbed by steady drops of rain. Oh, so peaceful, as far as I am concerned.
Peace and quiet come around every time with cool and calm rain, and anywhere you want it to be, far from the rain that I knew, very, very far from mother country, too far away to go to.

1 comment:

  1. Hi cris! I miss you. i will soon be given a laptop by my boss. I can get in touch more often. mmmwwaahhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete