Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Special DAY

I vividly remember a festive occasion forty-four years ago, when everyone around me was quite busy paying no more the usual attention to two little needy girls. It was my mother's birthday, and it seemed to me at the time that everyone was trying to outdo one another in making it very special. Then something else was happening, the festive mood initially became tensed, sort of shocking, then calmed down, then suddenly, very, very  joyful. There was singing, dancing, lots of drinking, loud singing, food abound, it was fiesta-like all around me. What was happening? For an almost five year old girl, it was more than amusing. It was confusing, but there was one thing understood and was stuck in my mind and heart, forever. This day is very special, it is not only my mother's birthday, but more so, my dad's first born son was born on such already a special day. Indeed, my brother Omar came out to this world with festivities waiting for him. Even then, I always knew that he is quite special, and HE is. I see a lot of my dad and his love for his children in my "special" brother. Growing up, November 9 triggers all the good things I can remember! It announces the beginning of the holidays, and gifts and big toys are bought for the whole family to enjoy. A very happy birthday to beloved Nanay and Omar. I wish Nanay can celebrate a nice, special day with us next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment